Where can I put my fence?

First, you will need to get a zoning permit (zoning compliance permit) from the Town of Clayton Planning Department. Planning Department staff will help you determine the location for your fence and make sure you do not encroach into any easements or buffer areas.

Also, if you build a fence on the property line, it becomes shared property between you and your neighbor(s). Please note that unless you have recently had your property surveyed, your estimate of the location of the property line may be off by a few inches.

Not every type of fence material is permitted - talk with staff to confirm that the type of fencing you want to put up, and the desired height and location, is permitted.

Show All Answers

1. What is zoning?
2. How do I know what zoning district my property is in?
3. What is the extraterritorial jurisdiction or ETJ?
4. How do I know if I am in the Town Limits or Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ)?
5. How can I find an address for my property?
6. Do the Town’s zoning regulations apply to me?
7. What is allowed in each zoning district?
8. What are my building setbacks?
9. How do I get a survey of my property?
10. Where can I put my fence?
11. Where can I find a zoning or other Town map?
12. Where do I find out about restrictive covenants and other deed restrictions?
13. Can I subdivide my property?
14. What is a subdivision?
15. What signage can I put on my property or my business?