- Police Department
- Community Outreach
- Crime Prevention
Keeping Clayton safe is a team effort, and the Clayton Police Department has an officer dedicated to working with citizens and groups to enhance crime prevention efforts within the community. Our Community Policing Officer provides a variety of services to Town of Clayton residents, including serving as a liaison for Community Watch Programs; conducting community crime prevention presentations; conducting tours of the Clayton Law Enforcement Center; scheduling community events for neighborhoods and civic groups; working with school officials to provide officers for safety-related events and scheduling officers to answer questions and vehicles to display at public events.
Crime Prevention and Educational Programs
The Community Policing Officer can provide a variety of presentations and educational programs developed in response to residents' requests or concerns. The CPO can conduct presentations on a variety of topics including, but not limited to, those listed below. If a group within the community has a specific concern, the CPO can research the concern and develop a presentation. Contact the Clayton PD at 919-553-4611 to discuss or schedule a program.
- Bicycle Rodeo – focus on youth safety concerns of riding a bicycle and provide cone courses for them to practice which promotes safe riding skills
- Fraud Presentations
- Safe Driving
- Elderly Scam
- Holiday Safety
- Security for businesses and religious organizations (Q&A setting)
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design
- Stranger Danger
- Motorcycle Safety
- Child Restraint Systems
- Dangers of Drugs
- Domestic Abuse
- Community Watch
What is a community watch?
A community watch is a crime prevention program that enlists the active participation of residents in cooperation with law enforcement to reduce crime, solve community problems, and improve the quality of life throughout an area. Through a community watch, program participants will learn strategies to:
- Recognize and report crimes and suspicious activities
- Protect yourself, your family, and your property
- Protect your neighbor’s family and property
- Identify crime and disorder problems in your area and work with Clayton Police Department personnel to resolve these problems
Community watch operates to educate participants in the principles of deterrence, delay, and detection. The program is designed for residents to work with the Clayton Police Department instead of relying on law enforcement to solve all their problems alone. Community watches across the nation have shown to be effective in decreasing crime while giving the community a greater sense of involvement. Community watch programs work by:
- Residents within the community working with the Clayton Police Department to reduce crime and improve the overall quality of life in the area
- Residents within the community taking on leadership roles and accepting responsibility for their community
- Residents within the community meeting to discuss their concerns, and developing a plan of action to address those concerns
- Residents within the community joining together in a cooperative effort to create a sense of community and put the neighbor back into the neighborhood
The following neighborhoods currently have active community watch programs: Riverwood, Glen Laurel, Glen Haven, Cobblestone, and Garrison.
If a community within the Clayton town limits is interested in developing a Community Watch Program, they can contact the Clayton PD at 919-553-4611.